Sunday, August 29, 2010

Weeds--part three

So there I was on Washington Island.   No internet.  No TV.  No matter, I'm a reader.  But I couldn't get into the new best selling mystery I brought along and so scouted the house for something else.  Beneath a pile of fishing magazines, I spotted an old issue of Oprah.  May 2007.
Leafing through it, I came across an article with an intriguing title:  "The Soul Check Up" by Krista Tippett.  She suggested revisiting words that are important in your religious passions.
The word that banged against the inside of my head, trying to get out, isn't exactly religious or passionate.  Old.  Now I've made a certain amount of peace with the concept of aging.  Enjoying its opportunities while managing its challenges is a central them of this blog. 
Old is a whole other story.  Maybe being old isn't the crux of the matter.  It's the next step--dying-- that takes my breath away (nice choice of words that.)  Then what?
Which brings me to one of those religious words that people can get passionate about.  Heaven.  Or hell.  Where hell is concerned, I belong to the Lullie E Martini (my grandmother) school of thought.  There's enough hell on earth to go around, so there's no need for it in the afterlife.    Heaven on earth, on the other hand, in in considerable shorter supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment